Take care of your body – it is the only place you have to live.
I have very sensitive skin and eczema. I have had eczema since I was born and throughout my teenage years I lacked confidence and was very self-conscious of this. It was only in my 20’s when I started to get into urban dance that I started feeling more comfortable in my own skin. Different costumes, dance gigs, positive company and doing something that I love allowed me to feel more confident in myself.
Even though in my last post I wrote about stretch marks and how they remind me of the precious time my tummy held a life inside of it, during my pregnancy, I still used creams and oils in order to keep my skin moisturized and prevent the onset of too many tiger lines! Using these oils prevented my tummy from getting too itchy and feeling too “stretched” out and also helped to keep my eczema at bay 🙂
My Top 7 pregnancy essentials!
So here are my top 7 products that got me through the 9 months in which saw many changes to my body:
1. Bio Oil – I used this oil every night from 9 weeks onwards before going to bed all over my belly, underneath my belly button and on my sides and back. It made my skin feel so smooth. I would have also used it every morning however I did not want the oiliness to transfer on to my work clothes. I used up around 4 bottles of Bio Oil throughout my pregnancy as I was very generous when slathering it on.
2. Palmer’s Cocoa Butter Lotion & Cream – I used the lotion as an all over body moisturiser and concentrated the use of the cream in the mornings on the same areas that I massaged with Bio Oil (tummy, sides, back). I think I used up around 6 or so bottles of the lotion throughout my pregnancy. I had to cut the bottles in half when they were almost empty as the pump was unable to bring up the left over lotion on the bottom – they should really do something about the pump or the packaging!
The Bio Oil and Palmer’s Cocoa Butter products were my favourites as the Vitamin E and elastin kept my skin soft and supple all over!
3. Mum Dry antiperspirant deodorant – never really having to use deodorant before, I found that as soon as I got pregnant I needed this! You can depend on Mum 🙂
4. BioSilk Silk Therapy – I use this hair serum after I wash my hair to make it feel soft – it’s kinda like a version of Cuddley, for hair! I used this even before I got pregnant.
5. U Kotex Liners – for all your discharge needs – my beautiful ladies I travelled with to the U.S in May know all about this! ;P (remember the incident at Epcot Centre?)
6. Nivea Age Defence Facial Suncreen – with my daily 30 minute walk a must for exercise whilst pregnant, I used this sunscreen as protection and also found it to be a good base/primer before applying foundation! – a lightweight sunscreen that does not irritate the skin
7. Quick-Eze/Mylanta – not pictured here but I could not have survived without a packet of Quick-Eze or Mylanta on my bedside table – so quick to ease my reflux at night!
What are your top pregnancy essentials that helped you through the changes happening to your body over the 40 weeks? I would love to hear from you!